Journal of Cytology
Home About us Ahead of print Instructions Submission Subscribe Advertise Contact e-Alerts Login 
Users Online:513
  Print this page  Email this page Small font sizeDefault font sizeIncrease font size
Year : 2020  |  Volume : 37  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 87-92

Tumor cell representation by an improvised technique of fine-needle aspiration specimen acquisition and cell block preparation: Our experience in lung cancer cases in a peripheral center of eastern India

1 Department of Pathology, Burdwan Medical College and Hospital, Burdwan, West Bengal, India
2 Department of Radiology, Burdwan Medical College and Hospital, Burdwan, West Bengal, India

Correspondence Address:
Dr. Abhishek Bandyopadhyay
Vill-Andul Purbapara, P.O.–Andul Mouri, P.S.– Sankrail, District- Howrah, West Bengal - 711302
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None

DOI: 10.4103/JOC.JOC_138_18

Rights and Permissions

Background: Being a minimally invasive diagnostic technique, Fine-Needle Aspiration Cytology (FNAC) has become the first-line test and corresponding aspirated material has become the target specimen for diagnosis and ancillary tests in lung carcinoma. Although the role of Cell Blocks (CBs) in diagnosis and in ancillary testing is well recognized in literature, limited attention has been paid to specimen procurement and triage in the preparation of CBs. In the present scenario, CBs are not consistently optimal because of its low cellularity. Aims: This study is aimed to describe an improvised technique of specimen acquisition and cell block preparation in CT-guided FNACs of lung carcinoma cases in a resource-constrained center and to assess its efficacy for optimal representation of cellularity, morphology, and architecture. Materials and Methods: Total 85 lung carcinoma cases undergoing CT-guided FNAC in our center from February 2017 to January 2018 were included in this study. 4 to 5 direct smears and subsequent CBs were made from material obtained by single pass. Cellularity of smears and corresponding cell blocks were assessed and categorized according to a scoring system (score 1 to 3 for number of cells <50, 50–100, >100, respectively). Preserved architecture and morphology were also assessed in smears and CBs. Results: The evaluated samples showed a cellularity score 3 in 65.4%CBs and score 2 in 24.7% CBs. Overall, 90.1% cell blocks had acceptable cellularity. Cell morphology was preserved in all CBs of acceptable cellularity, except for two adenocarcinoma, one squamous cell carcinoma, and one small cell carcinoma blocks. Cellular architecture was also preserved in all CBs of acceptable cellularity. Conclusions: This simple improvised technique of CB preparation optimized its cellularity, morphology, and architectural preservation, even after adequate cellular FNA smears.

Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)

 Article Access Statistics
    PDF Downloaded100    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal