Journal of Cytology
Home About us Ahead of print Instructions Submission Subscribe Advertise Contact e-Alerts Login 
Users Online:374
  Print this page  Email this page Small font sizeDefault font sizeIncrease font size
EDITORIAL
Year : 1998  |  Volume : 15  |  Issue : 1  |  Page : 59-68

Clinical utility of fine needle aspiration cytology in testicular and scrotal pathology


Pathologists, Anand Institute of Laboratory Medicine, Bangalore, India

Correspondence Address:
N Jayaram
Consultant Pathologist, Anand Institute of Laboratory Medicine, No.11, Blue Cross Chambers, Infantry Road Cross. Bangalore - 560 001
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


Rights and PermissionsRights and Permissions

During a study of five years from January 1993 to January 1998, a total of 6056 patients were subjected to FNAC at this Institute. Of these, 165 (3.05%) had symptoms and signs related to scrotum and testis. Ninety two of these patients were being investigated for infertility (49.73%), 77(41.61%) had non-neoplastic lesions and 16 patients (8.66%) were found to have neoplasms. Of the 92 patients referred for workup of male infertility, 43 (46.66%) were found to have severe atrophy with Sertoli cells only, 22 (23.91%) had hypospermatogenesis, 22 (23.91%) showed normal spermatogenesis, and 5 patients (5.52%) had maturation arrest. Among the patients with non-neoplastic lesions, 40 (51.94%) had inflammatory masses (nonspecific inflammation 22 cases, granulomas in 17 and malakoplakia in one) and the remaining 37 could be grouped as noninflammatory lesions which included fluid filled lesions. Sixteen patients were found to have neoplasms of which 2 were benign (12.5%) and the rest (87.5%) malignant. Seminoma was the commonest malignancy encountered (71.4%). One patient with bilateral testicular mases was diagnosed as non-Hodgkins lymphoma by FNA. Further investigations revealed bilateral adrenal and pulmonary involvement. No complications were encountered except for mild transient local discomfort. Good patient compliance was obtained.


[PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed129    
    Printed3    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded2    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal